New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: Dec 27, 2011—Jan 03, 2012
Register for WaitlistTour Details
- Dec 27, 2012: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
- Dec 27, 2011: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
- Dec 27, 2010: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
- Dec 27, 2009: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
- Dec 27, 2008: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
- Dec 27, 2006: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
- Dec 27, 2005: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower
Past Field Lists:
- Dec 27, 2012: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (69.2 KB)
- Dec 27, 2011: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (82.8 KB)
- Dec 27, 2010: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (99.5 KB)
- Dec 27, 2009: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (73 KB)
- Dec 27, 2008: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (51.6 KB)
- Dec 27, 2007: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (55.7 KB)
- Dec 27, 2006: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (101.6 KB)
- Dec 27, 2005: New Year at Panama's Canopy Tower: PDF (67.2 KB)
Future Tour Dates:
Register for the Waiting List
This departure is sold out! Add your name to the waiting list, or inquire about this tour by calling our office (1-800-328-VENT or 512-328-5221), or emailing us (email@example.com).
Black-breasted Puffbird— Photo: Barry Zimmer
Species-rich rainforest birding around the incredible Canopy Tower ecolodge with access to famous Pipeline Road, the Chagres River, and the wondrous Panama Canal.
We can’t say enough good about Panama these days; it is simply one of the finest birding destinations in the Neotropics, with a rare combination of easy access to extensive tropical forest, fine accommodations, good food and water, and a wealth of wonderful birds to be seen. Whether you are a seasoned tropical birder or someone who has never ventured south of the Rio Grande, this tour will be a delight.
Our base of operations will be the exciting Canopy Tower, a former United States radar station elegantly converted into one of the most unique and enjoyable ecotourist lodges anywhere. Perched above Soberania National Park, the tower offers great birding literally right out your window, including the chance to view gems like Blue Cotinga and Green Shrike-Vireo, both of which can be quite difficult to see from ground level.
There are a number of terrific birding spots nearby, ranging from wetlands and open country with Rufescent Tiger-Heron, White-throated Crake, and a profusion of orioles, tanagers, and hummingbirds, to the semideciduous forests of Parque Metropolitano, an amazingly rich tract of forest right on the edge of Panama City that hosts Lance-tailed Manakin, Rosy Thrush-Tanager, and even the unpredictable Pheasant Cuckoo.
World-famous Pipeline and Achiote roads are also on our itinerary, of course. Here, one can find puffbirds (including the handsome Black-breasted), trogons, motmots, parrots, and many other flashy tropical species in abundance. This is also among the best places anywhere to locate an army ant swarm, with stunning looks at Bicolored, Spotted, and the spectacular Ocellated antbirds among the possible dividends.
We will also visit the Bayano lowlands in eastern Panama Province, where, among many widespread forest birds typical of the Canal Zone, we may also hope to find a number of species near the western/northern limits of their range, including Cocoi Heron, Gray-cheeked Nunlet, Red-rumped Woodpecker, Red-billed Scythebill, Black Antshrike, White-eared Conebill, and Orange-crowned Oriole.
Central Panama can also produce an excellent list of tropical mammals with brown-throated three-toed sloth, Hoffman’s two-toed sloth, mantled howler monkey, white-faced capuchin, Geoffroy’s tamarin, capybara, kinkajou, and northern tamandua among the possibilities.
Good accommodations and food; all nights at one location; train ride along canal; easy to moderate walking on roads and trails; some midday breaks; two long days; warm and humid climate.
Our PANAMA DVD features a mesmerizing tour of the Canopy Tower and Canopy Lodge. Beautiful footage of some of Panama’s most electrifying birds and commentary by Victor Emanuel highlight this 15-minute presentation. Please contact the VENT office to receive your free copy.
View our Panama’s Canopy Tower photo galleries: