Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: Mar 24—Apr 02, 2017
Register for WaitlistTour Details
- Mar 25, 2016: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- Mar 27, 2015: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- Mar 21, 2014: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- Sep 06, 2013: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- Mar 22, 2013: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- Aug 31, 2012: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- Mar 21, 2012: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago
Past Field Lists:
- Mar 25, 2016: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (9.3 MB)
- Mar 27, 2015: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (2.2 MB)
- Mar 21, 2014: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (1.9 MB)
- Sep 06, 2013: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (1.6 MB)
- Mar 22, 2013: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (1.2 MB)
- Aug 31, 2012: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (917.4 KB)
- Mar 21, 2012: Panama: Bocas del Toro Archipelago: PDF (327.7 KB)
Future Tour Dates:
Register for the Waiting List
This departure is sold out! Add your name to the waiting list, or inquire about this tour by calling our office (1-800-328-VENT or 512-328-5221), or emailing us (email@example.com).
Montezuma Oropendola— Photo: Natalia Decastro Gonzalez
Great birding complemented by luxury accommodations and the flora and fauna of these beautiful Caribbean islands, plus adjacent mainland up to 4,200-foot elevation near Reserva Forestal Fortuna.
The Tranquilo Bay Eco Adventure Lodge and six luxury cabanas are on Bastimentos Island, adjacent to a large preserve. Huge, colorful Montezuma Oropendolas are very common. There are trails on the property and a new 6-story observation tower, as well as good birding from the lodge porch and open areas on the grounds. One day will be spent birding the 7-mile-long Soropta Canal that was built to transport bananas from Costa Rica plantations. The rare Nicaraguan Seed-Finch occurs along the canal. That afternoon we will visit Swan’s Cay, which has breeding Red-billed Tropicbirds, Magnificent Frigatebirds, and Brown Boobies.
On three days we will take a boat to Punta Róbalo where a van will take us on a very bird-rich road from sea level to 4,200 feet. Three full-day visits are needed due to all the potential species present in various ecosystems along this road. A half-day will be devoted to birding the trails at the Green Acres Chocolate Farm. One full-day will be spent on the mainland around the banana-producing town of Changuinola. Our last half-day is left open for birding the many trails on the property, visiting the bird bathing pool in the forest, or snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, or just relaxing.
VIDEO: Bocas del Toro Hotel and Eco Lodge Accommodations – Tranquilo Bay
We will search for these potential species: Nicaraguan Seed-Finch, six kingfishers, four trogons, Yellow-eared and Blue-throated toucanets, Collared Araçari and two toucans, Prong-billed Barbet, three cotingas, Three-wattled Bellbird, three parakeets and six parrots, Bare-necked Umbrellabird, three puffbirds, Purple-throated Fruitcrow, four manakins, Black-chested Jay, seventeen hummingbirds, eight woodpeckers, over twenty tanagers, and many more species.
All nights in luxury cabanas with air-conditioning at Tranquilo Bay Eco Adventure Lodge, except for first and last nights at a hotel in Panama City; excellent meals and Wi-Fi in main lodge; travel to various islands and mainland birding sites by boat; trails next to large preserve; some mosquitoes and chiggers; can be warm at midday, but cools off at night.