Amazonian Paradise: Cristalino Jungle Lodge, Brazil: Aug 12—23, 2017
Register NowTour Details
(Internal flights included) Combined tour discount with Brazil: Pantanal Safari of $100 in double occupancy and $150 in single occupancy
Tour Limit: 14
Operations Manager: Erik Lindqvist
Download Itinerary: PDF (3.5 MB)
- Jul 26, 2015: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge
- Jul 27, 2014: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge
- Jul 28, 2013: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge
- Aug 06, 2010: Grand Brazil Part I: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge
- Jun 29, 2009: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge
- Jun 29, 2009: Harpy Eagle Chicks in Alta Floresta, Brazil!
- Jul 31, 2005: Amazonian Brazil: Alta Floresta
Past Field Lists:
- Jul 26, 2015: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge: PDF (2.3 MB)
- Jul 27, 2014: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge: PDF (1.1 MB)
- Jul 28, 2013: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge: PDF (4.4 MB)
- Aug 06, 2010: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge: PDF (101.7 KB)
- Jun 29, 2009: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge: PDF (95.4 KB)
- Jul 31, 2005: Brazil: Alta Floresta's Cristalino Jungle Lodge: PDF (140.1 KB)
Register for this Tour
Black-girdled Barbet— Photo: Andrew Whittaker
Amazonian forest birding at its best, based out of a single site; exploration from two spectacular canopy towers, excellent forest trails, and wonderful relaxing boat trips, with many sought after regional endemics and lots of primates.
The Cristalino Jungle Lodge is an avian gold mine, having everything that makes Neotropical rainforest birding exciting—huge mixed-species flocks careening through the canopy and understory; frantic parties of antbirds attending army ant swarms; colorful dancing manakins; parrots, macaws, toucans, and colorful cotingas and tanagers; several species of primates; butterflies galore; and numerous rare and/or highly localized species that are difficult to find elsewhere.
Located in the heart of a vast forest reserve, along a beautiful blackwater river, the lodge boasts good accommodations, great food, an extensive trail system, two superb canopy towers, and a site list of nearly 600 species of birds. Among the possibilities are White-browed Hawk, Harpy Eagle, Cryptic Forest-Falcon, Dark-winged Trumpeter, Razor-billed Curassow, Crimson-bellied Parakeet, Kawall’s Parrot, Blue-cheeked Jacamar, Rufous-necked and Brown-banded puffbirds, Black-girdled Barbet, Red-necked and Curl-crested aracaris, Gould’s Toucanet, Glossy Antshrike, Bare-eyed Antbird, the recently-described Alta Floresta Antpitta and Tapajos Scythebill, Snow-capped Manakin, Tooth-billed Wren, Yellow-shouldered Grosbeak, and many more.
Alta Floresta lies in northern Mato Grosso, encompassing the southern edge of Amazonian lowland rainforest. Situated between two large rivers, this region can boast of numerous specialty birds not found elsewhere. Adding to the attractiveness of the locale is the presence of several highly sought after bamboo specialties with slightly broader distributions, as well as a wonderful cross section of more widely distributed Amazonian birds.
Combine this tour with our Mato Grosso: Pantanal Safari (Birds & Jaguars) tour for a comprehensive experience.
Good accommodations; excellent food; birding off your doorstep, with full mornings exploring on mostly easy level forest trails or from atop canopy towers, followed by midday breaks and relaxed afternoon boat trips; warm, humid climate.