In this Region: Antarctica, South Georgia, and The Falklands
Wild, rugged, and alone at the bottom of the world, the Antarctic is a region that surpasses even the most glowing of superlatives. Here, the visitor, a stranger in an ice-filled world of breathtaking beauty, comes face-to-face with some of the world’s most sensational wildlife spectacles, replete with penguins, albatrosses, skuas, seals, and whales. Soaring, snow-covered mountains, fantastically sculpted icebergs, and icy waterways present panoramic scenery of unsurpassed splendor. A trip to Antarctica is an experience unlike any other.
The White Continent has drawn visitors for decades. Nobody who goes there returns unmoved by its pristine wilderness and unbridled natural beauty. VENT has been taking travelers to Antarctica for 20 years. It is certainly one of our favorite destinations and, we feel, offers the full natural history experience, complete with a heady sense of adventure.
Daily activities on an Antarctic voyage include exhilarating rides aboard Zodiac landing craft to pristine beaches, where the only inhabitants are countless thousands of seals and penguins; walking among penguin rookeries and gaining intimate familiarity with six species of penguins—all of which are at the height of their breeding cycles; immersion amid dramatic landscapes of snow-veiled mountains and ancient, cracked glaciers; and experiencing the thrill of standing at the ship’s prow while entering hidden, mountain-ringed bays, where Oorcas and humpback whales feed and cavort under the late-night sun.
Experiences such as these are but snapshots of all that an adventure cruise to Antarctica entails. To ensure your trip is as enjoyable and trouble-free as possible, please consider the advantages of the VENT trip:
- Our itineraries offer maximum opportunities for viewing the birds and mammals of the Antarctic Peninsula AND the two South Atlantic island outposts of South Georgia and the Falkland Islands. For birders and nature-oriented travelers, this is essential, as this is where most of the wildlife is found. Simply, this is the most comprehensive expedition to the Southern Ocean.
- We take a multifaceted approach to our Antarctic voyages. Of course we emphasize the region’s birdlife, but you will’ll also receive interpretation on the mammals and geology of the Antarctic region. We will’ll mine Antarctica’s rich human history as well, especially as we pass in the footsteps of legendary polar explorer, Ernest Shackleton.
- We schedule optional birding and natural history excursions out of Buenos Aires and Ushuaia that give VENT participants the opportunity to observe over 100 other species of birds from southern South America. No other company includes these specific offerings in their cruise packages.
- We feel that safety and comfort are the two most important elements to consider when choosing a ship. To that end, we reserve space only on those vessels that are double-hulled, ice-strengthened, and equipped with stabilizers.
- In addition to receiving the services of the ship’s staff and crew, at least one VENT leader with Antarctic experience accompanies all voyages.
- Our skilled office staff makes the registration process as effortless as possible. VENT is a full-service travel agency, meaning we are here to answer your questions and assist you with your travel arrangements.